Acorn House Veterinary Hospital is an RCVS accredited Small Animal Hospital. We are owned by the Royal Veterinary College (RVC) which is rated as the top veterinary school in the world (QS World University Rankings). Our hospital is purpose built with its own car park, spacious waiting area and 5 large, air-conditioned consult rooms. We have separate cat, dog and exotic wards, waiting areas and isolation wards. There is also a scanning room, dental suite and two operating theatres.
Our staff include professionals with post graduate qualifications including, RCVS Advanced Veterinary Practitioners (Small Animal Surgery, Small Animal Medicine, Exotics, Companion Animal Behaviour), nurses with advanced diplomas and certificates and client care team with registered veterinary receptionist awards.
Staff wellbeing is just as important to us as the clinical service that we provide. We have mental health first aiders and an employee assistant programme provided through BUPA. As an ongoing thank you to our staff we provide a stocked kitchen, a private garden area and weekly Yoga classes.
Acorn House is proud to be members of the Living Wage Foundation, Investors in the Environment and the Cycle to Work Scheme. We are also designated an ISFM Gold Standard Cat Clinic, Dogs Trust Dog Friendly Clinic, and RWAF Silver Rabbit Friendly Practice.
Acorn House Veterinary Hospital encourages and values all opinions and suggestions from team members and clients. We are proud of our talented and diverse workforce where new ideas are shared in a safe space creating a positive, friendlier environment. We aim to be truly representative of our clients and all sections of society.
Our Equality, Diversity and Inclusion leaders represent the protected characteristics of age, disability, gender reassignment, marriage and civil partnership, pregnancy and maternity, race, religion or belief, sex, and sexual orientation. Their primary objective is to be the voice for the protected groups while celebrating, promoting, and educating others.
Acorn House does not tolerate any forms of bullying, harassment, and any other forms of discrimination.
RVN To Join Our Royal Veterinary College Teaching Hospital In Bedford
We are looking for two registered veterinary nurses to our join our Royal Veterinary College teaching hospital in Bedford
The position is five days a week, each being an 8-hour shift between 7.30am and 8pm
No out of hours on call
Candidates will be self-motivated and be able to deliver and maintain a high standard of care, they will need excellent client communication skills, along with the ability to work as part of a team as well as independently.
Our positions offer the opportunity to be involved with all routine procedures including radiography, theatre work, laparoscopy, nurse consults, and nursing care to hospitalised inpatients.
Benefits pro rata
- Salary range between £26,250 and £34,125 dependent on experience
- 39.5 hour working week
- 30 days holiday including Bank Holidays, increasing to 33 days after 3 years service
- 2 paid personal days to help with unexpected events.
- Enhanced Maternity pay
- 3 days paid CPD leave
- Generous CPD budget including unlimited online CPD with the RVC
- Opportunities for certificates if desired
- Generous staff discount scheme for employee-owned pets
- Annual pay reviews
- Employee Assistance program
- Excellent in-house training and support
- Workplace pension scheme
- VDS cover & RCVS fees paid
- Cycle to work scheme
Small Animal Vet Bedford
A vacancy is expected to arise in Autumn/Winter 2023 - the practice encourages prospective applicants to contact the practice for an informal chat in the first instance.
Acorn House is the Royal Veterinary College’s workplace teaching hospital in Bedford.
We operate as a successful first opinion practice with students observing how the practice functions. If you are a vet wishing to develop clinically we have excellent facilities, exciting caseloads and offer support for undertaking certificates. Senior vet position (with management duties) available for AVP applicants.
- Opportunities to develop a teaching career (funding for PGCert in Veterinary Education) if desired
- 100% small animal hospital (single site)
- 11-vet team with AVPs and certificate holders
- ISFM Gold standard cat friendly clinic with separate cat ward
- Doppler ultrasound, digital x-ray, laparoscopy, blood pressure, full in-house lab, blood gas analysis and tonometer, gastroscopy and bronchoscopy
- Dental suite with digital dental x-ray
- TPLO kit, PAX locking plate system, MicroAire drill/saw
- Competitive salary with out-of-hours bonus scheme
- RCVS, BSAVA and VDS subscriptions paid
- 1 full weekday off each week
- Nurse on site 24 hours
- OOH rota (from home) for nights and weekends (1 week night every 2 weeks;
- 1 weekend on call every 2 months).
- Generous CPD allowance including unlimited online CPD with the RVC and full funding for certificates /AVP
- Enhanced maternity pay
- Cycle to work scheme
Enquiries and applications to Katharine Nelson, Practice Principal - firstname.lastname@example.org
- Practice Newsletter
- Read the latest information, offers and advice by reading our practice newsletter.
Acorn House Veterinary Surgery
Linnet Way, Brickhill, Bedford, MK41 7HN